Friday, November 11, 2016

Week 3 - Gravity



It’s the third week! This week I was pretty nervous. I started looking at the lesson subject for the week-GRAVITY. Gravity is so cool. Gravity is also pretty simple. I also found out that my mentor was coming to my class so I was more aware as I was preparing that I wanted to do a great job at helping the students understand the content and understand the dance movement.

SO I found a book and we danced the story of...Gravity is a Mystery by Franklyn M. Branley.

We read about how gravity pulls you to the center of the earth! We got on a figurative Space Exploration BUS


 and explored the universe! We started digging to the bottom of the earth, jumped safely "through" our hole to the ground, stood hands in a circle and pulled toward the center of the earth (or the center of the circle), pretended to roll down a hill and get swept away, pretended to be sitting and tried to jump from sitting to hitting our head on the ceiling (didn't work ;) ), and then we danced like we weighed 1,000 pounds and also like we weighed 10 pounds! We did all of this while the song The Best of Space Movie Themes was playing!

We ran out of time at the end for a performance, but we sure had a blast riding our Space Exploration Bus!

..............................

I also learned a ton from my mentor this week. She is so dedicated to helping me succeed and I, once again, could see that reiterated when she sat with me for more than a couple of minutes after I taught so that I can learn and improve! I loved it!
Improvements to be made:
-Start to get to know the names of the students                                                                
-Emphasize and put ON THE BOARD the dance curriculum (I have had them do dance curriculum but haven’t actually been teaching it to them so that they know it).
-My drum is the most useful in the gym. Music is hard to hear, echoes, and I can’t get their attention as well with the music! I think I can still use music, but I would love to still use the drum.

~'Til next week!
















No comments:

Post a Comment